Monday, April 1, 2013

Awards Week: Shirlene Law


photo of Shirlene Law
It's Awards Week at the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services. We're taking this opportunity to recognize those who have made a difference in their fields this year.

Shirlene Law, a lecturer in Roosevelt from the Family, Consumer and Human Development Department, was named 2013 Teacher of the Year by the Utah Early Childhood Conference Committee. Here's what she loves about her work:
"I have the perfect job in which I get to work half the time with those who are young, and the other half with those who wish they were young.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are filled with bright smiles, sweet hugs and an excitement for learning that only comes in three foot packages!  The other days are filled with college students who are just starting on their journeys of making a difference in young children’s lives.  I find the same joy and satisfaction watching both sets of students grow. 
"My hope is that I can instill a love of learning in all students that will keep them excited about what the future holds.  After 21 years of teaching in early childhood education, I realize more than ever how much I have to learn.   That’s what keeps me going.  I often tell my college students, the day they stop looking for new ideas is the day they should no longer teach. 
"Teaching is a fabulous journey filled with a lifetime of rewards as I see my past preschoolers and graduated USU students and feel the same love for both.  I strongly believe that as a teacher, my students will not remember much from the lesson plans and lectures I produced, but they will always remember the way I made them feel."  

The College will have its own award ceremony on Thursday, April 4, from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in the Edith Bowen auditorium. For more information, and to view a list of the awardees, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from real live humans are welcomed. Please, no anonymous comments or self-promotional links.